CLO #5

“engage in genre analysis and multimodal composing to explore effective writing across disciplinary contexts and beyond”

Strangely enough, I actually enjoyed completing the genre analyses, although I know my classmates weren’t too fond of them. It was interesting comparing different samples of the genre and analyzing whether they achieved their purpose, and to what extent they followed the genre guidelines. They also gave me a clear idea of what Professor Carr wanted, because she always provided at least one poorly written sample and at least one well written sample. If I was confused about an assignment, the genre analyses always cleared up any questions I had. I understood what type of language was effective and what was ineffective, and when I wrote my own assignments, I knew what mistakes to look out for. Figure 1 shows an excerpt from my Lab Report genre analysis, which was graded 14/15 points. I was analyzing a lab report titled “Painting Roads for Benefits and Success”.

Figure 1- Lab Report Genre Analysis