CLO #6

“formulate and articulate a stance through and in your writing”

I feel very confident in my successful achievement of this course learning outcome. In every assignment, I had a clear stance which I declared or stated outright, and I made sure that it was not too vague that my audience would misunderstand my perspective and points. For example, in my Memo I repeated multiple times that textbook costs are too expensive and it is causing problems for CCNY students, which is why there should be solutions implemented to prevent textbooks from negatively affecting a student’s education. One example of this is shown in Figure 1. Additionally, I knew when to make my stance neutral and unprejudiced so that I appear more credible to my audience. In my “Technical Description of the Playstation Dualshock 4 Controller”, I was not overly positive about the project, nor was I overly negative- I simply stated the facts, what worked and what didn’t, issues that needed fixing and also unique features that elevated the gameplay experience. I knew my stance needed to be unbiased, because my purpose was simply to inform and educate, not to persuade. In Figure 2, I have highlighted a quote from my Tech Description in which I’m pointing out some drawbacks to a feature.

Figure 1- Declaration of my stance from my Memo 

Figure 2- Technical Description unbiased stance